Officials say a 30-year-old Butler resident died Wednesday of a suspected fentanyl overdose, on the third floor of a West Brady Street home.
Police say David J. Pfennigwerth, of West New Castle Street, was found Wednesday morning by the owner of the home, who had allowed him to say there overnight.
Assistant Chief Dave Adam said that firefighters responded to an emergency call and found Pfennigwerth dead on the home's third floor, having apparently fallen out of a chair he was sitting in and onto the floor.
Adam said police found an empty stamp bag on a dresser in the room where Pfennigwerth was found, as well as a syringe, a spoon with white, powdery residue on it, and a small amount of marijuana.
Butler County Coroner William Young III said his office hadn't determined an official cause of death yet, but said he is considering it a suspected fentanyl overdose.
Adam said police believe Pfennigwerth was staying at the home by himself at the time of the overdose, which is thought to have happened sometime in the early morning hours of Wednesday. Pfennigwerth was last seen around 1:30 a.m. or 2 a.m., returning from visiting a neighbor's home, Adam said.