Fire crews from around Butler County battled a blaze at the China Palace building, 138 W. Jefferson St., Butler, that has left 20 people without a home Wednesday.
No injuries have been reported.
There are 14 apartments in the building, and one of the tenants, Richard Bruno, said he saw smoke coming out of the second-floor windows and called 911.
The initial call came in to dispatchers at 3:44 p.m.
Mike Robb of the Center for Community Resources said the displaced apartment residents have been going to the CCR's office on Main Street to get aid from American Red Cross.
Bill Atkinson, the owner of the nearby Chop Shop restaurant, has offered free food and shelter to the displaced residents of the apartment building.
For more information about this breaking news story, read the Butler Eagle.